GYMNASTICS | WEEK 36 | 09/01/2019
30 Seconds Active Bar Hang
10 Banded Pass Throughs
10 Low Tuck to Standing Extension
20 Rebounding Straight Jumps
Active Bar Hang:
1. Begin hanging from the pull-up bar, with a shoulder width grip (hands will be shoulder width apart).
2. Engage the lats by pulling the shoulders down. There should be sizable space between the tops of your shoulders and your ears.
3. Tighten the core by pulling your belly button into your spine. This will help flatten out the lower back, setting you in a hollowed position.
4. Squeeze the glutes and round the hips under to further engage the core.
5. Keep your legs as tight as possible by squeezing the quads, and pointing your toes.
Banded Pass Throughs:
1. Begin standing with your feet together, quads squeezed, and glutes engaged. Round your hips under (think of yourself as a dog with its tail between its legs) to ‘turn on’ your core. Practicing this total body tension from your warm-up is going to transfer into higher level skills.
2. Grip your band (any thickness) in a wide set up for the first few reps. Usually near the ends.
3. Using straight arms, lift the band overhead and backwards, until it hits the back of your glutes.
4. Hold to maximize the stretch.
5. Return to your front starting position by repeating the same motion forward.
6. As you get comfortable, begin walking your hands in to a more narrow grip for increased difficulty.
Low Tuck to Standing Extension:
1. Begin in a low, tucked position on the ground: Feet together, glutes to heels, hands on the floor near your toes for support. Only your fingers and the balls of your feet will be in contact with the floor.
2. Press your heels to the ground to intensify the stretch through the achilles and calves.
3. Slowly, lift the glutes into the air, beginning to straighten out the legs. 4. Continue rising until you reach straight legs. The goal is to keep your hands on the floor for the entire set, but, if they need to come off in order to lock the knees out, that is fine.
5. Allow the chest to hang towards the floor as much as possible.
6. Hold at the top to maximize the stretch.
7. Return to your low tuck starting position.
EMOM 14 Min
(Every Minute on the Minute for 14 Min)
Min 1: 10 Knuckle Push Ups
Min 2: 5 Candlestick Roll + Box Jump + Jump Off + Stick
Subs and Modifications:
Set knees on the ground
Use a shorter box
Knuckle Push Ups:
1. Begin in a plank, position, with your hands in a fist. The tops of your knuckles should be in contact with the ground, wrists extended and strong.
2. Lower yourself to the ground, making sure your elbows track backwards.
3. Once your chest makes contact with the floor, push yourself back up, finishing in your starting position.
Candlestick Roll + Box Jump + Jump Off + Stick:
1. Begin standing with both feet together, arms by your sides, in front of your box.
2. Sit back to the floor, setting your glutes close to your heels.
3. As you roll backwards, extend your arms overhead, pressing them into the floor behind you, and lift your toes to the ceiling. Legs are straight and glutes squeezed (make sure your hips are fully open).
4. Using the momentum from rolling down, pull your heels as close to your glutes as possible, and shift your chest forward, over your toes to help stand.
5. As you stand up, swing your arms and jump onto your box.
6. As you jump off the box, make sure to bend your knees on the landing, and stick it— Do not move your feet! The higher you jump, the more challenging it will be to land.
Skill Focus: Basic Bar Connections
EMOM 8 Min
(Every Min on the Min for 8 Min)
1 Bar Muscle Up
3 Bar Dips
1 Forward Roll Dismount
(All Performed on Same Minute)
Score= How many rounds you are able to get all done in the same minute.
Subs and Modifications:
Jumping bar muscle-up
Slow forward roll down
(Or just skip forward roll)Bar Muscle Up:
1. Begin standing behind the bar
2. Jump to the bar and catch in a hollow position
3. Allow yourself to patiently swing forward, opening into an arch position as you pass to the front of the bar
4. Hit the full range of motion in your arch position
5. Once you start swinging backwards, drive your knees towards the ceiling
6. (Aggressively!) Squeeze your glutes to produce as much power as possible, driving your hips towards the bar
7. As you come close to the bar, sit up quickly using your core, and shift your hands over the top of the bar
8. Land in a front support
1. Begin in a front support on the bar, with your hands gripping outside your hips
2. You will first hollow your body position (toes and shoulders will both come forward), and then swing your legs backward
3. As your legs swing backward, you press your hands down on the bar to brace the shoulders, and allow the power from your legs to lift your hips off the bar
4. You should resemble a (similar) plank position at the top of your cast
5. Land back in your front support on the bar to finish
1. Begin in a front support on top of the bar, with your hands gripping outside your hips, legs straight, and toes pointed
2. Dip down towards the bar, with your elbows tracking backwards, getting your chest as close to the bar as you can go
3. Push back up into a front support
1. Begin in a front support on top of the bar
2. With a slight bend in your elbows, allow your chest to fall forward, in front of the bar
3. Once you "roll" to your hips, allow your upper body to relax, so your arms straighten out
4. As gravity pulls you down, let your legs slide over the bar, until you come down into a full hang beneath the bar
5. Note: Make sure to keep your arms straight! You don’t want to bend them and pull your head towards the bar as you roll